Sunday, December 05, 2010

Holiday safety tips

The holidays are such an awesome time. I love the feeling in the air. But sometimes we get so busy we aren't aware of hidden dangers. Experts from the California Poison Control System have passed on these 12 holiday tips to help keep the Christmas season safe.

1 -- Don't let babies chew on foil wrapping paper. It may contain lead.
2 -- Holiday gifts can have flat, coin-shaped batteries. If swallowed, these can cause serious burns, choking and lead exposure. Keep all batteries away from babies, kids and pets!
3 -- If using snow spray indoors be sure to open windows. Solvents in the spray cans may cause nausea, lightheadedness and headache.
4 -- Poinsettias won't kill you. Ingestion may cause mild stomach upset, but aren't fatal.
5 -- Pine needles can get stuck in the throat and cause choking in small children & pets. Keep swept up.
6 -- Carbon monoxide: open chimney flues, never use stove or BBQ for indoor heat & keep outdoor generators away from windows.
7 -- Holly & mistletoe berries can cause nausea, vomiting & diarrhea if eaten. Pyracantha berries are safer substitute.
8 -- Lead can still be found in new and used children's products, like toys, backpacks, lunchboxes & jewelry. Find out about product recalls & tested products at healthystuff.org
9 -- Have the poison control number programmed into all phones. Call anytime, 24/7 for expert advice or questions. We're here to help.
10 – Holiday visits from grandparents? Purses/bags attract curious kids. Be sure any medicines are put out of the reach of kids.
11 -- Washing hands, counters & cutting boards with hot water & soap and washing fruits & helps prevent food poisoning.
12 -- For more free weekly safety tips to cell phones, text the word TIPS or PUNTOS for Spanish to 69866.

Become a fan on Facebook at California Poison Control System and follow us on Twitter @poisoninfo.